Tuesday, March 17, 2015

This Is For All You Sleepy Puppies Out There

Oh, hello. This is me today.


Ever have one of those days where multiple people just look at you and say, "OH, you look so tired"? Mmmhmm, that was me today. And I'm like, "Thanks for oh so delicately pointing out the obvious." Today I yawned approximately 27 times while I was in my office between seeing patients. And I realize that this is semi normal, but what happens when we get into a cycle of being constantly exhausted, worn out, and run down? If I don't take care of myself, I won't be able to appropriately help others. Whether it be in my clinical experience or in my personal life. So today we are talking abouttttttttt.....you guessed it, COPING SKILLS. There are ways we can work time into day that involves taking care of ourselves and releasing negative energy or whatever will help to refresh your mind and body.

Everybody seems to have different ways to cope that work for them, but here are a couple of my go-to options. These are just some suggestions that can be tweaked to your liking, everyone is different!:

1) Running - Ok before you shoot me down, I understand that not everybody enjoys running. I love running. But it's important to take note that I don't love running because I feel like I'm dying. I love running because I get fresh air, feel the wind hitting my face, block out the world by listening to music, and focus my energy on releasing any negative feelings or emotions. That can be done by almost any form of physical exertion. Simply going outside and taking the time to acknowledge and appreciate the world around me does WONDERS for my well being.

2) Yoga/meditation - Yeah yeah, I know this is another one that is an acquired taste. I once had a patient tell me "I don't do none of that hippy dippy stuff" in response to a comment about yoga and meditation. So I get it, it's not for everyone. But it's worth trying! Meditation and deep breathing has been proven to have a variety of physical and mental health benefits.

3) Spending time with others - This is kind of a no brainer but how easy is it for us to become so wrapped up in school or work that we find ourselves neglecting our relationships! Every now and then I just need to talk to my friends and eat chocolate and vent and have a dance party. And so do you.

4) Writing - Now this one is my go to suggestion for my fellow introverted patients. Writing is an awesome way to expressed your feelings and emotions without feeling rushed and intimidated about saying it out loud and to somebody's face. Who does that anyway. For example, writing a letter to someone who has hurt you...or you have hurt in the past. Except don't actually give it to the person unless it's appropriate because you might end up coming back to beat me up when that doesn't go over well with the other person. Daily journaling is another great option!

5) Music - This one is the big winner. Everyone seems to love the idea of music as a coping mechanism. Music has a way of making us feel understood and not alone. In fact, nothing feels better to me than finding a song that perfectly portrays how I feel about a particular experience or person. Something I learned from the music therapists at the hospital is how to use music for mood changing. If you are feeling depressed, start out by listening to sad song. But then slowly make the progression of songs you choose less and less sad until you are able to lift your spirits even just a little bit. I'm all about making playlists on Spotify so that idea is perfect for me.

So as adorable as those sleepy puppies and kitties are, don't fall into a rut of chronic exhaustion and neglect to take care of yourself! In fact, I suggest you go adopt a sleepy puppy of your own, but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment