Sunday, March 1, 2015

Wait, How Do I Work This Dadgum Contraption?!

Let's be honest. I'm 23 years old but I often feel this way when I am trying to understand social media and technology in general.



Ok fine, I sometimes have a flair for dramatics. I'm not THAT terrible at technology, but I'm pretty behind on the young, hip ways to connect with others. This week for class I had to make a twitter account. My initial thought? PHOOEY. I'm a pro at facebook but that's about as far as my social media skills go. So I wasn't too hot about the idea of using social media with counseling. Plus the fact that I'm pretty clueless overall. But here's what I do know - there are two main strategies regarding counseling and social media. A type of social media account can either promote a specific counseling practice from a marketing perspective, or can provide a safe online community for individuals with mental health issues.

So WHY am I not so crazy about social media and counseling, do you ask? This primary reason for my hesitance is the shockingly high prevalence of cyber bullying. Individuals sitting at a computer somehow ending up typing terrible, hurtful comments they would never otherwise say in person. I've never really understood this phenomenon and am saddened by the number of young people who commit suicide as a result of cyber bullying. So naturally, I've become a little jaded about social media because of the terrible things it can cause. But when we started discussing this in class, I decided to do some investigative work regarding how social media can be helpful to individuals struggling with mental health issues or cyberbulling.

Here are my super exciting results. While yes, there is an overwhelming amount of media stories regarding cyberbullying and the catastrophic results, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that social media can also provide a solace and safe environment for individuals who are struggling with a variety of issues. If an individual feels alone and is afraid to seek help, a social media outlet is a perfectly suitable option until appropriate treatment is available. I decided to focus my search on depression and discovered an online community called The Black Dog Tribe, in which information, resources, and an environment to connect with others experiencing depression is provided for it's users. According to The Guardian:

"These feelings of isolation and inferiority can break down an already low level of self-esteem and generate resentment in people who are connected to someone with depression, but social networking can also help to regenerate this lost confidence and promote understanding of a common yet deeply misunderstood condition. The Black Dog Tribe website is a part of this initiative, helping to create a supportive environment where people can talk about depression without fear of being stigmatised and providing a starting point for creating strong social bonds."

These types of social media outlets provide a community free from stigmatization. Individuals may be too depressed to leave the house for a counseling appointment. They may be afraid of a counselor not understanding them. They may be afraid of telling their story to another person face to face. This online community removes all of those worries! And while it may not be all the individual needs to function in daily life, it serves as an avenue of encouragement to pursue appropriate treatment for depression.

So like many many other things (such as let's say chocolate), social media can be both detrimental to the wellbeing of an individual's mental health. However, social media can also be incredibly helpful in providing mental health resources and communicating feelings of understanding and belonging to people who may not otherwise be connected to one another.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/dec/02/social-networking-depression-black-dog-tribe


No comments:

Post a Comment