Saturday, April 11, 2015

I Just Have a Lot of Feelings...


Ever feel like you just have too many feelings? Like you just wanna curl up in bed and eat 7 bowls of Reese's Puffs?


I know, I know. It happens to the best of us.


So often as humans we let our emotions take hold of us. We sometimes let one small issue get in the way of a good day and sometimes even treat people like crap because of it! But before we tackle how to lessen the negative effects of these feelings, we have to learn how to label them and know why the hell we are so freaked out in the first place!

A common technique used in therapy involves encouraging the client to use "I feel" statements. Instead of the oh so common habit of saying "I feel like....," clients are forced to choose a particular adjective, or feeling word to describe what they are currently experiencing. This is incredibly helpful when attempting to create a greater understanding and awareness of our own emotions and what kinds of experiences cause negative emotional reactions.

And HOORAYYY, this goes back to the super fun and abstract idea of mindfulness. How can we learn to be more aware of the present moment and be accepting of ourselves and our feelings? By accepting them, labeling them, and taking control of them! Using feeling words is usually really difficult to get into the habit of using so in the past I have given copies of the "Feeling Wheel" to my clients who struggle with identifying their feelings.


So DO IT, try to have a hang out session with a friend withOUT saying "I feel like..." and instead try using "I feel" statements. I promise it's a lot harder than it sounds, but over time you will create a greater understanding and acceptance of your own feelings. It's okay to be crazy emotional sometimes. In fact, last night I was frustrated with a friend of mine so I stayed at home by myself, ate peanut butter, and watched a Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movie. We all have those days, I promise. But a resilient person shows their strengths in their ability to continue persevering despite setbacks and continues maintaining hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment